The school is committed to offering all students the best educational opportunities.
The school offers provision to meet needs across the four broad categories of SEND (Special Educational Needs & Disability):
- Cognition and Learning
- Communication and Interaction
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Sensory and/or Physical
Objectives for SEND at Bowland High are:
- Provide a broad, balanced and personalised curriculum, promoting achievement
- Ensure all students participate and make progress with their learning
- Identify and assess student learning needs, provide appropriate interventions and monitor progress
- Ensure whole school responsibility for meeting learning needs
- Promote partnership and good working relationships, with parents, carers and all stake holders
- Undertake productive partnerships with all external agencies
- Promote independence as students move through school
The SENDCo is Mr Ian Machin MEd (SEN/Educational Psychology)
Tel: 01200 449 864
If you have a SEND based query, or if you feel your child may have SEND, please use the contact details above. It is important that your views and the views of your child are taken into account.
There are two criteria for appointment to the SEND Register at Bowland High
- A formal diagnosis of a medical condition impacting on learning
- An overall Standardised Score of 84 or below in an assessment of Reading, Writing (including Spelling), Basic Numeracy or Processing
SEND SUPPORT PROFILE/PLAN
Pupils, either on the SEND Register or appointed to it, through formal identification of need (diagnosis or assessment based), are provided with a SEND Support Profile/Plan (provision document), which outlines:
- Information to outline/assist with general support within the classroom (PROFILE)
- Assessment data and intervention details (including targets, strategies, proposed outcomes and timescales) (PLAN)
Using guidelines imposed by the SEND Code of Practice (2014): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398815/SEND_Code_of_Practice_January_2015.pdf
SEND SUPPORT PROFILE/PLAN
The school’s SEND provision identifies the 4 stages of SEND support:
Assess – the SENDCo reviews status and undertakes assessments in areas of concern to identify strengths, weaknesses and inform on subsequent provision
Plan – agreement reached, involving school, parent(s), pupil and any related external agencies, on a plan of action which identifies targets, strategies, proposed outcomes and timescale.
Do – undertake the plan of action over a short period of time (maximum 2 terms)
Review – Evaluate the support provided/intervention undertaken and make decisions on subsequent SEND involvement
Access Arrangements are put in place for both internal and external tests and examinations, providing there is a history of need/provision and a body of evidence to substantiate the need.
The SEND department at Bowland consists of: Mr Machin (SENDCo), Mrs Lord (Senior TA), Mrs Beesley (TA), Mrs Grainger (TA), Mr Hinds (TA), Mr Higham (TA), Mr Hook (TA), Mrs Isherwood (TA), Mrs Lamle (TA), Mrs Theobold (TA).